Friday, August 26, 2011

Jeepneys, the symbol of the Philippines

I love the jeepneys of the Philippines, although I must confess that driving with the ancient buses is nothing for me because of my excess weight. Every tourist should, however, indulge in a Philippines vacation at least once in the pleasure of one of the colorful jeepneys to put pure.
In the last 60 years, roamed the streets of the Philippine jeepney, the cities and shaped the urban landscape like no other car has ever done. Hailed by some as a very effective transport and loved (My wife told me this at least once a month anecdotes of her youth when she had trouble driving the jeepney) hated by the other because the jeepney just gas guzzlers are the air of cities with more filthy exhaust fumes pollute. The engines are already very outdated, it will also urge the jeepneys slowly out of bounds. The Philippine government has been here a long time in terms of restrictions imposed by the exhaust gases are monitored while out of town but hardly in the cities are more and more checks are carried out.
Even today, the colors painted jeepneys are extremely happy. Where there prevail two design types. The ubiquitous church and Disney / Looney Tunes characters. This was usually their favorite brands like Coca Cola and similar articles or advertisements to strong automotive brands. Character of Mercedes and Ferrari are found on each of the jeepney, I think if you get a little closer look.
I will miss these original converted military jeeps in the future. Since I've visited in the 90s the first time the Philippines, they were always there and I hope the Philippine government a way that the symbol of the Philippine cities are characterized as long as it is received. Philippines almost every book that I know has shown on the cover one of these jeepneys. Often, after my wife complains about traveling abroad lack of culture of the Philippines. I am saying here is just another piece of ... lost.